Supporting MSP Students within the KU Community

Prospective Students - Information About Our Program

Frequently Asked Questions about our application process:

Who is eligible for the program?

The following groups are eligible for the program:

MSP is open to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent resident undergraduate students who fall into one or more of the following groups:

  • Underrepresented minority
    • Black/African American
    • Native Hawaiian/Asian Pacific Islander
    • American Indian/Alaskan Native
    • Latinx/Hispanic
    • Asian/Asian American
  • Pell Eligible (as indicated from your FAFSA submission to the University)
  • First-Generation (meaning that neither of your parents earned a college degree)

When does the application open?

The Common application opens on December 1st, 2020. The Academic Works website will be doing maintenance on December 7th and 8th, and will be unavailable during that time.

When does it close?

The Common application has a priority deadline of March 15th, 2021. The application will remain open year round until all of the spots are full.

What MSP programs are using the Common Application that is on Academic Works?

Great question! Because each of our programs are unique across KU, not everyone utilizes the Common Application. The following programs utilize the Common application:

  • College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (All of the majors within this school)
  • School of Education and Human Sciences (This also includes pre-education and human sciences majors)
  • School of Music
  • School of Engineering
  • School of Journalism

Are there specific requirements for the Common application?

Yes. There is an essay prompt with multiple questions to answer in your essay.

Essays should be:

  • Two-pages
  • Single spaced
  • 12-point Times New Roman font
  • 1 inch margins
  • PDF Format

If you do not complete the essay per the above requirements, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered for the application. If you have any questions about the application and formatting, please contact our departmental account at

What about the School of Business? They have application on Academic Works. 

Yes. The School of Business has their own application on Academic Works. If you accidentally apply to the general application, we will send you an e-mail notifying you that you applied to the incorrect application.

What if my school is not on the list of programs that utilize the Common Application?

Each of the other programs, Social Welfare, Pharmacy, and Architecture have their own distinct processes for applications and are not through the Common application. The best way to learn more about their programs is to contact their Directors. Their information can be found under the Directors tab.




One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today